Join the literary PARTY!
Independent Bookstore Day marks its fifth year of celebrating independent bookstores nationwide on Saturday, April 27th, with literary parties around the country. The Bookstore Plus is hosting an Independent Bookstore Day party with an open invitation to our local community and to all our loyal customers beyond.
What is Independent Bookstore Day?
Independent Bookstore Day is a one-day national party that takes place at indie bookstores across the country on the last Saturday in April. Every store is unique and independent, and every party is different. But in addition to authors, live music, cupcakes, scavenger hunts, kids events, art tables, readings, barbecues, contests, and other fun stuff, there are exclusive books and literary items that you can only get on that day. Not before. Not after. Not online.
Why are we celebrating independent bookstores?
Independent bookstores are not just stores, they’re community centers and local anchors run by passionate readers. They are entire universes of ideas that contain the possibility of real serendipity. They are lively performance spaces and quiet places where aimless perusal is a day well spent.
. Independent Bookstore Day is a one-day national party that takes place at indie bookstores across the country on the last Saturday in April. Every store is unique and independent, and every party is different. In a world of tweets and algorithms and pageless digital downloads, bookstores are not a dying anachronism. They are living, breathing organisms that continue to grow and expand. In fact, there are more of them this year than there was last year. And they are at your service..
“We are thrilled to once again have The Bookstore Plus participate in the 5th annual Independent Bookstore Day. Independent bookstores across the country are alive and we are proud to celebrate that fact. As a second generation indie, we are thankful for the support that we receive from our community of local customers and visitors. You are the reason that we are still here and can have a day-long celebration of independent bookselling. Today we say “thank you” for keeping The Bookstore Plus as well as other independent bookstores around the country alive and full of books, ideas, and unique people.” -Sarah and Marc, Co-Owners of The Bookstore Plus
PARTY AT THE BOOKSTORE PLUS | 9 AM - 6 PM with free Mimosas and Cupcakes!
- "Tell Us Why You Love Your Bookstore" or "Write Your Favorite Book" on our poster paper that we will be hanging up as you walk in The Bookstore Plus
- The World's Easiest Scavenger Hunt: take a walk around the store for a literary scavenger hunt and keep an eye open for free The Bookstore Plus stickers hidden around the store, there will be a prize drawing for a $50 gift certificate for participants
- THE LIVING READING SPACE: sign up to read for a half hour in our store window. Shoot us an email or sign up in store if you want to participate in this rare opportunity! email@example.com
- Book giveaways throughout the event
- Author Signings
- Stay tuned for a secret code to be released on social media and for a chance to receive $2 dollars off a $10 dollar purchase or more.
- Audiobook giveaways from Libro.fm, the digital audiobook platform for independent bookstores. Signing up is free.
- Take a picture with our giant $2 bill on social media using the #LakePlacidBookstoreDay
Order of Events:
- Mimosas being served on the house from 9:00-11:00 AM
- "The Living Reading Space" from 9:30 AM-5:30 PM
- Cupcakes at 12:00 PM
- 1-3 PM: Kiley Frank, children's book author, will be signing copies of her new book, "Tomorrow Is Waiting".
- 3-5 PM: Maxwell Eaton, children's book author, will be signing his funny and educational books.
5 PM | World's Easiest Scavenger Hunt GIFT CERTIFICATE DRAWING
Please support your local bookstore and join in on the fun!