Titles available now at The Bookstore Plus. Please inquire about autographed titles in stock.
The only complete history coupled with the best images of the Lake Placid Club. By David H. Ackerman
The hiking guide that is our staff favorite. References both the Adk Mtn Club map and the National Geographic map for the High Peaks region. Updated in August 2012!
Heaven Up-h'isted-ness and Adirondack 46er compilation. Contains list of 46ers through February of 2011.
Great History on Lake Placid and North Elba
In the tradition of Eiger Dreams, In the Zone: Epic Survival Stories from the Mountaineering World, and Not Without Peril, comes a new book that examines the thrills and perils of outdoor adventure in the “East’s greatest wilderness,” the Adirondacks.
A staff favorite for a general history of the Adirondack Park.
Major Call had it all: he was a war hero with a beautiful wife, a new baby, and a promising aviation career ahead of him. But when his wife died in 1954, Call's life went into a tailspin. Always a gambler and a risk taker, he went AWOL and began a crime spree that would end in the murder of a policeman in Lake Placid, NY. But novelist and former FBI agent Conners thinks that Call was involved in another murder and shows evidence that he was the "bushy-haired stranger" in the notorious Sheppard murder in Bay Village, OH.
Small Town, Big Dreams DVD. Lake Placid's Olympic History in an award winning documentary.
In this compilation, photographer Seneca Ray Stoddard's century-old Adirondack photographs are presented next to Marc Bowie's modern-day images of the same locations. A fascinating book that illustrates the evolution of Adirondack landscape and people!
An interesting, well-researched book that sheds new light on the 1906 Gillette-Brown murder.
This fascinating book contains the biographies of and stories told by 29 Women Winter 46ers.
A history of the amazing feat that was the building of the railroad that stretched through the Adirondacks from New York City to Montreal.
A compilation of Bob Marshall's writings that show the importance of wilderness preservation.
A fascinating description of the life of Louie Seymour, an Adirondack woodsman who lived in the late 1800s.
A collection of real Adirondack ghost stories!
A wonderfully detailed history of camps in the Adirondacks.
Spencer Morrissey's second edition to a great Adirondack hiking guide.
Indexed and illustrated with 113 historic and present-day photos, this book is of interest to history buffs, researchers wishing to understand the Outdoor Life once lived at Saranac Lake, and to architectural historians tracing the influence of that life on buildings all over the United States. This book celebrates the cure porch and the compassionate community and triumph over disease that it represents.
150 wonderfully illustrated historical sketches about the history of the Adirondacks!
Inside the Club by Barbara Campbell. Stories of the employees of the former Lake Placid Club
Pre-order your copy today!
Great Lake Placid History. Olympics and more
- 320 cliffs—that's 78 new ones since the first edition.
- 3,100+ routes and variations—that's 1,162 new ones.
- Comprehensive: includes every known route.
- Completely revised and updated.
- Full route descriptions in an easy-to-read, comprehensive format.
- New index-by-grade.
- New region maps.
- New crag planners that help you decide where to go.
- 345 action photos.
- 175 photo diagrams (aerial photos with route lines).
- 135 cliff topos.
- 104 approach maps.
- 37 watercolors and pen-and-ink drawings.
- 22 essays written by prominent Adirondack climbers.
- Forewords by Tad Welch (English) and Loïc Briand (French).
- Complete history of every cliff.
- Quality ratings for routes and cliffs (0-5 stars).
- GPS coordinates of every cliff and parking area.
- Two volumes contained in a slipcase, sold together for $40.00.
- Each volume is 5½" x 8½" x 1", 2 pounds; 4 pounds for the set.
- Volume 1 is 560 pages; volume 2 is 544 pages.
- Printed on high-quality glossy paper.
- Full color throughout.
- Strong, smyth-sewn, lay-flat binding with PUR glue.